Sunday, April 6, 2014

Recycle, reuse for Cotton's litter

I bought a portable and mini shredder recently at an IT mall fair. The shredder costs me $34 and I thought it is a good deal for its price and application for home use. This mini shredder cannot shred fast and many at a time - A4 sized paper has to be folded half to feed into it, so expectation has to be calibrated accordingly. Although it claims it can shred 3 papers at most at a time, one piece of A4 paper already make the shredder sounded it was working very hard.

My new portable and mini shredder
The shredded papers, in my opinion, are quite fine and loose. Then an idea strike into me - why not further recycle these shredded papers for Cotton's litter?

The shredded papers as final product
 
And so I did. As I learned previously, I need to introduce new things to Cotton slowly and so I mixed it with the Cat Litter in his litter tray. Typically, the 30L Breeder Celect cat litter can last me 2-3 months and now together with the shredded bits, I can use the Breeder Celect supply longer.
 
Mixing the Cat Litter with the shredded bits


The results after 6hrs of use by Cotton
Do I worry Cotton will eat the shredded bit? No. He doesn't even eat the cat litter or his own poo.
Will the shredded bits have ink leaching issue? Not likely and definitely much hygienic than newspaper

It's really a win-win situation - being green, save monies and yet confidential and important document properly disposed. How clever. :p
 

No comments:

Post a Comment