Sunday, April 13, 2014

Cotton does bite at times.....argh!

Rearing Cotton is not a bed of roses. There were a few occasions where he does bit me but rest assured that Cotton is not an aggressive and unfriendly bun. He is 99% of the time tamed and obedient but there will be 1% of the time where he is pretty moody, uncooperative and fierce.

The latest biting incident was this morning when I was changing his litter box. He was sleeping (eyes closed in his chicken-lay-egg position) at the AC bedroom and I went to change his litter box. While removing his used litter box with the fresh box, suddenly he appeared. He sure has a great scent of smell! He was looking expectantly for his food and I gave it to him. He ate with his butt outside of his litter box and I moved him and I always do that with him without issue but not this morning. He did move into the litter box but he started to dig his fresh hays but I just cleaned and changed his litter box! So I began to pick up the hays with my left hand that were thrown our of the litter box to put them back and that's when he started to bite my left hand. That's really unexpected and unanticipated.

I was mad, he was mad. So I cradled him and spanked his backside (gently of course) and I could hear him puffing with his noise. I could not let him go off now because of Dog Whisperer's tips - cannot stop when the pet is at level 10....only stop when they are at level 5 or lower. So I carried him until no more puffing and he became submissive.
 



First time I saw blood from his bite this morning
 
Those teeth of his.....love-hate relationship at the same time


The last time he bitten me was about a month ago when I was laying him to rest at my legs. Before you tried to scold me as "asking for it", I must say that I had him rested at my legs without issue the previous 2 days and he even licked my legs. However, not for that day and after that 2 bites (because I tried twice), I do not let him rest at my legs anymore and whenever he is neared my legs, I will naturally and instinctively move away.  
 
2 deep bruise purple spots - he bit me twice at my right thigh when I tried to lay him at my legs

Indeed, Cotton is pretty scared of me after that and also rather wary of me. Disciplinary is a double edged sword at times, especially if it is under an Asian Disciplinary :p. Chinese has a saying: 不打不成材 (literary translated as No Spanking, No Gain). I believe Cotton knows I love him and over the time, he will get used to my style as well. We have a great improvement together - not forgetting that when I first saw him at SPCA, he was totally timid such that afraid of noise and human interaction. Plus Cotton does not bear grudges because he still takes treats from us. He has great personality 99% of the time and I must be wary of his 1% of the bad days.        


No comments:

Post a Comment