Sunday, March 16, 2014

Trancing Cotton

As the title describes, this entry is about trancing rabbit so if you are a rabbit lover who strongly against practicing trancing on rabbit, pleas do not read further. You have been warned.

I read a lot online about how to trance a rabbit before doing the practical with Cotton. I used to work with small animals like mice for lab experiments so I do not have shaky hands or gripe. This proven to be useful and allows me to learn trancing skill faster and Cotton does not need to go through more rounds. By the way, I'll trance Cotton only after he has eaten food because a hungry rabbit is an angry rabbit? I find that way, Cotton is in more cooperative mood with me.

While there's a debate whether to or not to trance a rabbit, I personally feel it's really up to each bun's parents to decide why and what they want to do it for (in other words, their intention is kindred to do so in the first place). Whether their buns enjoy a trance or not, is also debatable just like there will always be some crazy humans enjoy adventurous activities like bungee jumping or roller coaster ride and there will always another group of quiet humans who will be satisfied with a good book read. So only the buns' parents know their buns well and do what's best for them. 

Why I want to trance Cotton is simple: (1) for grooming purposes like nail clipping (I have not done yet but am preparing myself for that day to come) and (2) for disciplining him. Truth be told, Cotton does not seems to enjoy being tranced because he always get out of it very fast. Note: I did it step by step with Cotton before eventually deciding its time to practice trancing on him. If you follow my blog, you'll know that I proceed handling him in step by step positive progress manner. Do not trance your bun at the start if it never even allow you to carry him at all! Patience is the key to success!

I was able to trance Cotton by cradling him like a newborn baby. See picture below. To give him the sense of security, my left arm which he lies on is held close to my body while my free right hand is stroking his head down to ears constantly. I'll speak to him in a soft gentler volume - akin to hypnotizing tone. He settles well and fast in this cradling position. I also realize that lowering his head position will trance Cotton faster and easier. 

But trancing in cradling position does not allow me to groom him as I've no free hands to do so! Uncle hubby is rather clumsy at combing out his matted fur at the bottom of his hind legs and butt areas. I need to trance him on my legs....



Trancing Cotton on my legs directly proven too hard for me. Maybe I did not do it right and so I decided to improvise. First I tranced him at cradle position and then slowly transferred him on to my legs. I cannot sit with both legs stretched out straight so I sat with both legs at sides and Cotton lies between my tighs area. It worked...... but Cotton awoke fast too. After third try, Cotton was tranced longer when I (1) covered his eyes with a clean towel, (2) his head position is leveled lower than his butt and (3) stroking his belly at times. See picture below.

I'm not sure if it's me or Cotton but while lying between my tighs with his spine aligned, his body could not be kept straight. Once his butt, upper legs or hind legs tilted too much, Cotton would be awaked. Also, Cotton was slipping downwards while lying on my tighs. I wasn't able to comb much of his matted fur   :(




I think I might engage HRSS house visit grooming service and seek the bun expert for pointers on trancing Cotton. Sometimes, teaching in person still beats learning online in many ways. This is one such example. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment