Sunday, May 11, 2014

Cotton's Blind Dates #1 and #2

We been getting Cotton ready for the 2nd bun since last week and he seems getting used to his new playpen setting. So came 10-May and HRSS adoption drive finally arrived and we (me and Uncle Hubby) went with an open mind.

Blind Date #1:
There were many rabbits in a big playpen at one of the volunteers' place. I went into the playpen to interact with the buns and also began the 'selection' of bun #2. Initially I wanted Shumo - the orange Local bunny, but her furs sheds easily when being stroked. No, she is not at her shedding season yet. Uncle Hubby has lower tolerance towards furs flying around the house, that's why I chose Cotton because his fur does not fly when stroke, regardless of how hard I patted him. I know rabbits will shed eventually for a change of new coat of fur and we are expecting him to molt which he hasn't yet so far.

I was also looking for a human-bunny personality and that's how Gambi attracted me - she simply let me carry and handling her and her fur does not fly when stroke. I was told that Gambi is an attention seeker bunny which I pretty like too because Cotton does not always let me hug him. Another thing that attracts me to Gambi is their close resemblance.  

 
Gambi lady


Left: Cotton; Right: Gambi. Ain't they look alike?

However, we also prefer to have a senior bun because senior bunny tends to be more sedative in character. So we want to meet Phoebe from BW who coincidentally named her Cotton too, as she used to belong to HRSS but foster under BW. Recently, they did a transfer of ownership and so to celebrate her new lease of title, they gave her a new name.
 
Blind Date #2:
BW peeps were very approachable and friendly. They were quick in responding all my queries and even accommodate my request to do bonding between the 2 Cottons. The next day, the bonding was conducted and we brought Cotton with about 50 mins journey to the bonding place. When Cotton was carried out of his carrier, he instantly went over to Phoebe's side and they began nose-to-nose.

Alpha Cotton trying to show his dominance over Phoebe


Cotton trying to squeeze next to Phoebe


Cotton is such a snuggle boy


Cotton snuggle with Phoebe again

Cotton showed his dominance over Phoebe a few times by humping over Phoebe. Phoebe did not move and let him did it. According to Jackie and Lynne, part of the bonding process involved allowing humping to happen for a few seconds and then quickly removed the alpha bunny and coaxed the dominant bunny. They also shared and taught us many tips on bonding and they are such amazing people to know.

Uncle Hubby and I also viewed Lynne's 2 lops.....they are soooo cute. While we were away, Jackie took some videos and pictures (shared with me later) what the 2 senior couple were doing. Cotton, the glutton, without fail showed his true colors again.

 
 


I think they were nice peeps who complimented Cotton as a handsome buck and it really makes me feel happy to hear that. They commented that Cotton's size is just nice and that's quite comfort to hear too but I still a little bothered by the SPCA volunteer who commented Cotton is 'on the thin side'. I just want to fatten him a little bit more.....just a little bit more.

Phoebe's temperament is really fantastic - she is really calm and peaceful. However, she sheds 24/7 and that did not boil well with us. It was really a tough decision for us as we did not want to reject Phoebe and yet, we do not know how well we can accept with her 24/7 shedding trait. Jackie and Lynne see our concern on that trait and advised us what ways we can do to reduce the flying fur.

Uncle Hubby and I have a long discussion over the 1hr bus ride home and we came up with a plan. We decided to try bonding Cotton with Gambi (if she is available) and if that did not work out, then we will have a trial to have Phoebe to live with us for a short period like one month and try out the ways to see if much shedding be reduced. If that does not work out, then we are OK to back to drawing board to restart the search for bun #2 again.

Or maybe adopt Mimi (SPCA) if he is still available.




No comments:

Post a Comment