Sunday, May 4, 2014

2nd attempt to split his playpen for Bunny #2

2nd attempt to split Cotton's 5-pieces playpen to prepare for Bunny #2.

The extra 3 fences arrived on the Friday evening

With the help of Betty (HRSS volunteer), she provided some suggestions how to come about it. I also shared with her my first attempt to split equally to 4-piece playpen each but that did not boil well with Cotton. So my plan now was to split unequally - such that the extended playpen space be smaller so that Cotton will continue to enjoy his rest space - from triangle to rectangle. Betty also suggested removing his cage base to free up more space but I was not too sure if Cotton can take so many changes at a go. So I split unequally for one day to see how Cotton reacts to it first before removing his cage base. One thing at a time.

Day 1 after splitting the cage:
 
Splitting the playpen unequally - Left is for bunny #2, Right is Cotton's
 
The extension required use of 2 fences and the 3rd fence which I bought extra is meant for 'Plan B' - in case the 2 bunnies can still fight aggressively with each other despite having a barrier, the 3rd fence will be added as 2nd barrier. The 2 barrier fences will have 5cm space apart.
 
Cotton exploring his renovated playpen
 
He rested at his usual position. So far, so good

So Day 1 seems going OK for Cotton and with the vegetable buffet, Cotton was in a happy mood. So on Sunday evening (today), I removed his cage base completely.

Cage base removed...see how much space was free up!
 
Without the cage base, his log hut is a bit small for him to lie in
 
Top view
 
Cotton's next best resting position
So far, Cotton seems coping fine without his cage base. Betty said Cotton's litter habit, in her opinion, is considered as good but not excellent. Excellent, in her view, means all the poops and urine are contained in the litter box - absolutely no stray poops. Cotton will have a few stray poops at his cage base because he has a tendency to hop out of his litter box while munching his last mouthful full of food in his mouth.

Now I shall monitor how Cotton is coping with the 'new' playpen setup without his cage base and improving his litter habit at the same time. Finger-crossed.

I also shared with Betty about my plan for the bunny #2:
- no free roam at first for obvious reason. It will be living at the smaller space until being bonded with Cotton
- It will also observe how Cotton behaves when Cotton is free-roaming. Hopefully bunny #2 will learn from Cotton the good behaviour.
- Once bonded, the barrier fence will be removed. Whether by then we will allow the bunny #2 to free roam with Cotton or not, will only be decided later. Must see how its litter habit goes.

Betty did not object my plan and so I am happy that my chance to being an adopter of HRSS is one step closer. Well, I have not really decided which bunny #2 I will adopt from - Bunny Wonderland, HRSS, SPCA or random online adoption plea. So I leave everything to God to tell me when the time comes, just like how I adopted Cotton. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment