Thursday, July 17, 2014

Continuing Bonding Day 10 (Litter Box revamped)

This morning at close to 4am, Cotton began his destructive act by digging the litter box. WTF ?! 

And again, some bun stray peed too. It's Koogle again. What's wrong with this bun???

Fine! So I gave them a litter box each. Adding 2 boxes cramped up the already small space of the 4 piece pen. 


Fine! I gave them a 5 piece pen now.


I hope to see NO stray pee from you, Koogle or else off you go back to cage or get rehome. 

At 7pm......


War zone!!! Argh!!!!!!!!

So I put them in the red basket and did my cleaning slowly. Darn, it's so tiring.

I gathered that maybe....just maybe....they din like to step onto each other pees. So I decided to rethink how to reform and modify their existing litter box. An idea struck me while referencing how other people did theirs. So I rushed off to Daiso right after work to get these materials. 

Taking the larger tray, I covered with a plastic bag.....


.....then I laid a layer of the pee pad....

....I added the Cat Repellent mat! This is to create a depth so that they will not be able to contact the soiled pee pad or bedding or poops.

The size is not fitting so I need to trim off one rim of circle......

The Cat Repellent mat is pretty spiky - obviously..... 

....so the egg crate has to be placed on top of the repellent mat. 

....then added in the bedding....

...secured the 2 trays filled with Timothy hays....

And they tested their new litter tray. 

The egg crate is thick enough to prevent the spikes from poking out. My egg crate is detachable type and my tray requires 3 crate (1 crate costs $2). The repellent mat costs $2 so total cost invested for their new litter tray transformation spent is $8. Multiply by 2 since I have 2 such trays, it will be $16. 

Now the real test results will be known tomorrow morning if the hypothesis that they do not like to step on each other soiled areas hence pee out of tray stands or fall. 

Praying hard. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi pandora, I located your blog from SPCA's Happy Endings page, and I've been reading it ever since you posted on the Happy Endings page (I love animals, so I check SPCA almost daily). I don't own rabbits, but I do own to guinea pigs, one perfectly healthy that had been with me for a long time, and a recently adopted rescue pig. Even as a piggie owner, I see that you spend a lot of money and time on your buns. Congrats in being a great bun owner, and I can't wait for your next post!
    -Tiffany

    PS. Hopefully, they like their new litter box, and I'm so sorry about the loss of Mi-yeon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tiffany, thanks for the encouragement and positive comment. Yes, the modified litter box works for them....so comfortable that Koogle would rest on it at times. I also found out the root cause for their stray pee. If I did not adopt Koogle, I might get a pig too. For now, it's just Cotton and Koogle...no more 3rd bun after Mi-yeon incident. Thank-you for reading and hope you enjoy the content so far. :D

      Delete