Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Their New Litter Box Setup

Ever since I put them in 100% Oxbow Tim hays diet from Sun to Fri, they really pee a lot. Well, hays are drying so it's natural for them to drink more water to quench their thirst. They drink as much as 2L of water per day. The litter box is too soaked with their pee that it makes my cleaning experience horrible and disgusting. 

As they are being fed daily with just Tim hays, their poops also become big and rounded. Another problem arises as a result of the bigger poops' size is that some poops will get stuck on the cat repellent and the space between the egg crate and cat repellent. 

So let's refresh the memory how the cat repellent and egg crate in my litter box for them looks like: 


The depth is also not high in this setup so I decided to improvise again!


But the combined metal mesh is a little larger (protruded out of litter tray) for my micro-space bonding experiment. So I overlaid the mesh at the middle and clipped them together so that the combined mesh will fit just nice on top of the litter tray. 


I added the egg crate and cable-tied it on top of the mesh because the mesh openings are too big for bunnies' feet. The latest setup has the combined mesh overlaid at middle. 



Can you see the overlaid mesh just near Cotton's butt? 

In this new setup, there're more depth created to contain their pees and also their big poops can drop directly into the tray without getting stuck in between. The most plus point is during the changing of their litter box, I do not need to remove those stucked wet poops which clumped to their fallen loose hays and pee via light shaking and manual picking approach. 

Cost of setup? $0. I reuse existing materials I already have! :D 


No comments:

Post a Comment