Friday, June 13, 2014

Renovating the newlywed litter box again!

So they are bonded and bonded rabbits tend to eat together so Cotton and Mi-yeon also make no differences.

I have a strict discipline for all my bunnies - must eat inside their litter box except treats for exercise. 

Originally, I combined their litter boxes together (Size: 41.5cm X 30.5cm X 10.5cm (Height)) but their food tray cannot be placed together. So one of them would have to pop their head over in order to eat together. But that's still acceptable until when they tried to eat the food at the hanging metal bowls side. They would have to squeeze and usually they took turn to eat when comes to food at the metal bowls. 


Ok, so that's not going to work well. So I tried to recycle by using the cage drawer since it's larger at size. I also bought the plastic grid from nearby aquarium shops which costs 1 piece for $1. I bought 6 pieces to try. The grid is to reduce bedding and poops being kicked out by them from litter box. 






So far, it seems to work...... until Mi-yeon began her stray peeing spree again. Ok, she wants her private litter box. So a 2nd litter box is placed next to the cage drawer. 



To prevent Mi-yeon from eating outside of the litter box, I added a metal grid to block the access. That night, Mi-yeon seems unhappy with the new addition and stray peed 2 puddles! Argh! 



So I decided to go Toyogo and get the larger tray (40x53x7.6 cm) as I won't need to change 2 litter boxes. I realize that Mi-yeon will stray pee if I did not change their litter box daily. By trial and error, I found a way to trick Mi-yeon that I changed the litter box daily and so far, she does not stray pee for past 2 days. *finger crossed* 

I tricked Mi-yeon that the used litter box was cleaned by re-mixing those un-used bedding with the used. 

Now the couple can eat together instead of taking turns to eat. 






The trip to get the larger tray is worth it.




No comments:

Post a Comment