Sunday, August 23, 2015

Night Free Roaming

By the time this blog is written and posted, Cotton and Charcoal have free roamed during the nights for more than a week now. 

It's tough to take pictures at night without flash, hence this post is going to be pictureless and I try to be as descriptive as possible.

After they were bonded, they were given day roaming on weekends at our supervision. This was on-going for 2 months and they both showed consistently excellent potty behavior without stray pee and poops. Hence I decided to try giving them night free roaming while we hoomans asleep. 

On the first night, they were super excited and happy that Cotton "made" a lot of noise with his cat collar kept ringing when he hopped around. The first night was a great success - no stray pee, poop or any nuisance chewing. This was going good until on the 4th night that I caught Cotton chewing one of my boxes edge. In a fit of anger, they were locked back into their pen for that night. I had to tape the damages done. :(


So I think back what I did incorrectly and why Cotton was destructive in behavior. He is usually very obedient and an intelligent bun who knows exactly what I want. Then I realized I did not kiss both of them goodnight and warn them No Stray Pee or Poops or Chewing! Unbelievable, right? Since then, I have to kiss them goodnight and warn them the same thing and they would be well-behaved. No more chewing incident since then for now. *finger-crossed* 

Every working weekdays' mornings, Cotton and Charcoal would return to their pen at 5:30 ish am to await for me to wake up to bring them pellets for their breakfast. Pignic (our guinea pig) would wheek happily for her pellets too and she too another intelligent rodent! 

On every weekends' mornings where I have a tendency to sleep longer, Cotton would hop into our bedroom to check me out. Sometimes he would hop in his bunny 500 speed noisily with his cat collar to seemingly trying to wake us up. Take for this morning as an example, Cotton attempted twice to wake me up and check on me at 5:16am and 7:15am. Such a nuisance..... a cute and adorable nuisance. 

Charcoal is happy with the night free roaming arrangement too. She would hop next to me whenever I was cleaning their pen. Yes, that close to me now. Pets understand the love we have for them, I feel. They understood my warning and kissing given to them every night. This shall be the arrangement for the next few months and when I think they are ready, the fence will be torn down - penless. :D 


No comments:

Post a Comment